May 16th –
The Holy Spirit helps us do God’s work.
Let’s read Acts 1:15-17, 21-16
15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16 and said, “Brothers and sisters,[a] the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.”
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”
23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.
- Why did the disciples need to pick a new member for their team?
- How did the disciples decide who to choose and what was his name?
- Who helps us do God’s work?
- According to I John 5:12-13, who can have eternal life?
- How can you help a friend find Jesus?
- What stops you from being coached by the Holy Spirit?
- How can you allow Jesus to coach you?
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.
Dear God, help us to be brave so we can share the most important message in the world with others. Help us remember that because we have the Holy Spirit, we can do your work! Amen.